- (Looking for the LCA2018 wiki? It's available here)
Welcome to the LCA2019 wiki
Your conference companion and source of information to ensure you have a first-rate conference experience.
All delegates are welcome to contribute to this wiki. If you find there's something missing, or wish that you knew, then find out about it - be bold, and add it! - (login is the same as your main registration one)
- 1 During the conference
- 2 Before and after the conference
- 3 Information for all attendees
- 4 Information by attendee type
- 5 Information by conference lifecycle
During the conference
- Daily Notices / motd - keep up to date with conference happenings here.
- Birds of a Feather Sessions
- Lightning Talks
- Conference VOIP
- Chat & discussions
- Misc. / Other
Before and after the conference
- Before and after the conference activities
- Public transport and travel to and from Christchurch airport
Information for all attendees
What to bring to linux.conf.au
- Laptop, phone, camera, chargers etc - most people bring a laptop, tablet and other such devices. Free WiFi is available during the conference (visit your dashboard page for the password). Many Delegates enjoy hacking, coding and developing together at linux.conf.au.
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and a water bottle - Christchurch can have high summer temperatures; staying sun-smart and well hydrated is important!
- Clothes and toiletries - adequate clothing and sanitary items to see you through the week should be brought. Remember to bring any medication you may need. We also recommend something warm for late evening.
- Identification and if international, your passport - for registration purposes, we may need to see identification, and if you're a student, we'll need to see your student card. In accordance with liquor laws, you may be asked for ID to be served alcohol.
- Cash or card - you will likely have some incidental expenses during the conference. There are ATMs available at the conference venue, and most nearby venues take card.
Weather and clothing
Shorts and T-shirt should work most days - but maybe bring a jersey or jacket just in case!
Expect maximum temperatures of 20C-30C.
Travel & accommodation
See Public transport and travel to and from Christchurch airport and the Airport arrivals and departures page. There's also more information on Accommodation. Car parking for delegates is in the Clyde Car Park, you will need a parking coupon available from any of the on site cafes, or a pay and display machine ticket.
Code of Conduct
Remember that we are a diverse community. Sometimes this means we need to work harder to ensure we're creating an environment of trust and respect where all who come to participate feel comfortable and included. Please have a read of the the LCA Code of Conduct - and follow it!
- It's up to all of us to create a safe, welcoming, and inclusive community.
- The code of conduct team can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Code of conduct representatives have white lanyards.
- Or ask at rego or any volunteer.
UC Security also has Help Points around campus: https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/support/onsite-services/security/towers/
Hopefully all goes well with the computer gear you bring to Conf. In case of emergency there is a nearby beige box assembler with a wide variety of stuff available. DragonPC located in the nearby Church Corner Shopping Center at 375 Riccarton Road. A 20 Minute walk or 5 minutes by car.
There are few electronic component retailers in and around Christchurch where one might drop in and pick up a pack of quarter watt 220 ohm resistors to replace those you swore you packed away before you left home. However, if it moves electrons, the (rather expensive, but immediate) electronics and hobby shop, Jaycar, probably has it. It's located about 7.5 km away at 85 Gasson St in Sydenham so it's not really a walking destination (approx. 1 hr 30 mins.) but, if you hop on the chat mailing list or IRC channel, you're likely to find someone who might give you a ride to pick up what you need. In a crunch and without a ride, it's 40-60 minutes away via Public Transport. The shop is open 0830 to 1730h M-Th, 0830 to 1830h Fri, 0900 to 1700 Sat and 1000 to 1600 Sun.
A number of local providers sell prepaid SIMs with various pricings for different amounts of voice minutes and data. Most providers start with a NZ$19 deal that allows for 1.25 GB data + 200 minutes of voice valid for 4 weeks. At least two providers (Vodafone and Spark) have kiosks at the airport where you can buy the SIM cards. Another major provider, 2degrees, has shops in all of the local malls and provides the SIM cards for sale in many supermarkets as well as the AirGo Convenience in the arrivals area at the Christchurch International Airport.
- Police, Fire or Ambulance: 111
- Campus Security can be contacted 24/7.
- Evacuation Areas: Building evacuation assembly points for Central Lecture Theatres and Engineering Core. Earthquake assembly point is the Ilam Fields.
- On-campus Medical: See map for Campus Health Centre, ph 03 364 2402. Open 8:30am to 5pm.
- On-campus Pharmacy: University Pharmacy, ph 03 364 2215. Open 8:30am to 5:30pm.
- After Hours Medical: Riccarton Clinic and After Hours Medical Centre 4 Yaldhurst Rd, 03 343 3661, open 8am to 8pm, 25min walk from venue
- After Hours Medical: Pegasus Health 24 Hour Surgery, 401 Madras St, 03 365 7777, open 24/7, 15 minute drive from venue
- Call Healthline free on 0800 611 116 for advice and information from a trusted registered nurse.
- if you want advice on finding services near you - you can also check www.healthpoint.co.nz.
The registration desk opens Sunday 20th January at 2pm in Central Lecture Theatres (C Block) foyer. It will then be open from 8am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday. Reference H4 on the UC Map.
- Yes, there will be a Schwag Bag
- We recommend you take a look at Simon Lyall's (Unofficial) Linux.conf.au Guide.
Information by attendee type
- Information for Speakers
- Information for Volunteers
- Information for Students
- Information for International Visitors
- Digital Future Aotearoa Children's Program
- Airport arrivals and departures
- Things to do in & around Christchurch