Before and after the conference activities
(Redirected from After the conference activities)
This is a page for attendees to collaborate and find like-minded people doing things before and after the conference.
Before the conference
- Peter Chubb User:wombat is thinking of attending EvenSong at the Cardboard Cathedral.
- Louis Moore (Freenode: cubeofsilence || email@example.com) - I'm planning on going to Arthur's Pass for the day (19th, Sat morning) to do some hiking in the mountains . If you'd like to join let me know! I don't drive, so at the moment i'm looking at getting the Atomic bus early in the morning and coming back in the late afternoon; if anyone wants to come and hire a car and split the costs for the day that would be rad
- UPDATE - Our local expert Keith G has offered to drive and do some hiking on Saturday morning, we have 2 spots in the car left, get in touch**
- The train was worth the trip last time I went -- wombat.
- Anyone landing around 11:30 pm on Saturday 19th at the airport and going to the accomodation hall want to share a taxi ? matiu on freenode
- @matiu - see Airport arrivals and departures
- World Buskers Festival - Friday 11th January until Sunday 3rd February, with street performers until Sunday 20th January - https://www.breadandcircus.co.nz/timetable
- Newcomers Session at 1630 Sunday in the C1 Lecture Theatre followed by an informal gathering in the UC Staff Club from around 1730h. Organised by Hugh Blemings ably assisted by various far smarter folk
After the conference
- Paul Wayper (firstname.lastname@example.org) is looking at doing a motorbike tour for one day on Saturday 26th, Sunday 27th or Monday 28th. If we can get up into the mountains and even see the west coast, that'd be great! I'd be looking at hiring a motorbike.
- John Carter The roads in the mountains are narrow and winding and tiring... make your calculations assuming you cannot be going anywhere near full speed all the way, and you will need rest stops. That said, it's a really beautiful trip and worth doing. Watch the weather... the "west coast" isn't known as the "wet coast" for nothing. :-)
- Aleksandra Pawlik (email@example.com) - Hey! I'm local to Christchurch and will almost for sure be rock climbing somewhere in the area over the weekend (weather permitting). If you want to join me, bring your harness and rock shoes, I've got everything else. Can give a lift to up to 4 people.
- Christoph Lameter (firstname.lastname@example.org) is looking to explore Christchurch and the surrounding area with his son Dominik (who is looking to enter graduate CS studies) in the week following the conference. We welcome ideas on what to do and people joining us or people we could meet.
- Paul Gear is looking to explore Christchurch & surrounds (perhaps Akaroa?) on Sun 20 Jan and/or Sat 26 Jan.
- Clive Murphy (email@example.com) I'm keen to go bouldering at Castle Hill, near Arthurs Pass, on the 28th and the morning of the 29th. Get in touch if you'd like to join in.
- John Carter - I'm local to Christchurch and one of the organizers, I spend all the time I can in the Mountains or the Sea.... so if you have questions or need advice about the viability of your trips to either, you're welcome to ping me.
- Lindsay Steele (firstname.lastname@example.org) will be looking at doing some trout and/or salmon fishing on the Saturday and Sunday after the conference, most likely hiring a car and staying somewhere on the Saturday night. If anyone is interested in joining in then feel free to get in touch. I may have a spare rod and gear if needed.
Saturday 26th January
- The Hagley Park Run is on at 8am - in lieu of an LCA 5K (it's not really in lieu, given the Running BoF :-), let's crash the local run. Runners registered in AU should have their barcodes "Just Work" (they are universal identifiers). See also Running_BoF for more running opportunities. Interested people:
- Katie McLaughlin (email@example.com)
- Paul Gear
- Michael Davies (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Great Kiwi Beer Festival is on in nearby North Hagley Park
For a broader selection the Wikitravel page on Christchurch has many suggestions.
- The Christchurch Robotics club has their monthly meeting on Monday the 21st at 6:30pm at 5 Idris road. (2km from the conference). Http://kiwibots.org has all the info.
- "The Founder's Paradox" at the Christchurch Art Gallery 15 Dec – 28 April 2019. The exhibited offers a critique of the hyper-capitalistic vision of Silicon Valley. (RadioNZ program)
- The International Antarctic Centre (Near Christchurch Airport)