- (Looking for the LCA2018 wiki? It's available here)
Welcome to the LCA2019 wiki
Your conference companion and source of information to ensure you have a first-rate conference experience.
All delegates are welcome to contribute to this wiki. If you find there's something missing, or wish that you knew, then find out about it - be bold, and add it! - (login is the same as your main registration one)
- 1 During the conference
- 2 Before and after the conference
- 3 Information for all attendees
- 4 Information by attendee type
- 5 Information by conference lifecycle
During the conference
- Birds of a Feather Sessions
- Conference VOIP
- Chat communication via IRC: #linux.conf.au on freenode.net
- Chat communication via Matrix (bridged to IRC): #linux.conf.au:matrix.org
Before and after the conference
- Before and after the conference activities
- Public transport and travel to and from Christchurch airport
Information for all attendees
What to bring to linux.conf.au
- Laptop, phone, camera, chargers etc - most people bring a laptop, tablet and other such devices. Free WiFi is available during the conference. Many Delegates enjoy hacking, coding and developing together at linux.conf.au.
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and a water bottle - Christchurch can have high summer temperatures; staying sun-smart and well hydrated is important!
- Clothes and toiletries - adequate clothing and sanitary items to see you through the week should be brought. Remember to bring any medication you may need. We also recommend something warm for late evening.
- Identification and if international, your passport - for registration purposes, we may need to see identification, and if you're a student, we'll need to see your student card. In accordance with liquor laws, you may be asked for ID to be served alcohol.
- Cash or card - you will likely have some incidental expenses during the conference. There are ATMs available at the conference venue, and most nearby venues take card.
Weather & Clothing
Shorts and T-shirt should work most days - but maybe bring a jersey or jacket just in case!
Expect maximum temperatures of 20C-30C.
Travel & Accommodation
See Public transport and travel to and from Christchurch airport and the Airport arrivals and departures page. There's also more information on Accommodation.
Code of Conduct
Remember that we are a diverse community. Sometimes this means we need to work harder to ensure we're creating an environment of trust and respect where all who come to participate feel comfortable and included. Please have a read of the the LCA Code of Conduct - and follow it!
Hopefully all goes well with the computer gear you bring to Conf. In case of emergency there is a nearby beige box assembler with a wide variety of stuff available. DragonPC located in the nearby Church Corner Shopping Center at 375 Riccarton Road. A 20 Minute walk or 5 minutes by car.
A number of local providers sell prepaid SIMs with various pricings for different amounts of voice minutes and data. Most providers start with a NZ$19 deal that allows for 1.25 GB data + 200 minutes of voice valid for 4 weeks. At least two providers (Vodafone and Spark) have kiosks at the airport where you can buy the SIM cards. Another major provider, 2degrees, has shops in all of the local malls and provides the SIM cards for sale in many supermarkets.
- Police, Fire or Ambulance: 111
- On-call number: TBA
- After Hours Medical: Riccarton Clinic and After Hours Medical Centre 4 Yaldhurst Rd, 03 343 3661
Information by attendee type
- Information for Speakers
- Information for Volunteers
- Information for Students
- Information for International Visitors
- Digital Future Aotearoa Children's Program
- Airport arrivals and departures
- Things to do in & around Christchurch